How To Take Care Of A Bamboo Plant

Hello World!

Today’s Tip: How To Take Care Of Your Bamboo Plant

Bamboo Plants are one of the most easiest plants you can take care of. If you feel like you never have, never will have a green thumb – have faith in your abilities when taking care of a Bamboo Plant. Speaking from experience, I have tried to take care of several plants from Mint plants, to flowers – you name it and I’ve killed it. Until one day, a friend gave me a Bamboo Plant as a parting gift.?Legend?has it that when a?Bamboo Plant is given to you as a gift (not buying it yourself)?it is considered good luck from then on. Especially when rubbing the leaves and thinking of things you would wish for. It’s works! So back to the tip of how to take care of?a Bamboo Plant, since it is the first real plant I haven’t killed, I’ve had him for 4 years and counting :)?

When someone gives you a Bamboo Plant,?it is usually very small, and comes with little rocks to cover the roots. What?you cannot see is under the rocks are a bubble-gel like shaped ball that serves?as a source of protein under the rocks. To this day (again 4 years later)?my?Bamboo Plant?still has those bubble?-gel like shaped balls under the rocks. Of course it?has grown 5?or 6 times the size of when?I received?it?but still….So first, Bamboo Plants don’t require a lot of maintenance. They like minimal watering – do not overwater it.?When you get it in the small original little plant pot that it comes in,?I wouldn’t give more than?2 tablespoons of water and I would only water twice a week. As your Bamboo Plant starts growing a little, you can increase the water limit to about 1/4 cup or 5 tablespoons.

Another important part of how to take care of?a Bamboo Plant is to keep it out of direct light. It does not want/need a lot of light because it’s not a regular “green” plant. Don’t keep it out of the light completely, but don’t set it under a window or a bright lamp either. Just enough light to let it know when it’s daytime should suffice. And every now and then give a few cheerful greetings to your plant and rub its leaves. I do this once a month and my Bamboo Plant is now 4 feet tall! Eventually, as your plant starts growing bigger, it will need room to expand. Make sure you don’t switch it to a new plant pot prematurely -you can guage by the size. I didn’t move my plant until after a year and a half. And what is important when doing so, is again NOT overwatering it. Also, you want to make sure you’ve bought similar rocks to add to the bigger plant pot. Pier 1 has some decent sized bags of the type of rocks for about $3.99. Don’t remove any of the rocks that your Bamboo Plant came with, just add them to the new ones. Remember you want to take care of your Bamboo Plant the best way so you can change your luck! Good Luck?& Enjoy 🙂

10 Responses to How To Take Care Of A Bamboo Plant

1. holly says:

I gave my dad a bamboo plant for a gift and we was wondering how to transplant it and your tip was very helpful thank you very much

2. christina says:

thanks alot this really helped!

3. Aj says:

Thank you so much this helped a lot good luck with your plant

4. :) says:

I hope it works we have had it on a window sill since the day we got it (about 5 days).
    I am really hoping it does work my sister has always wanted a bamboo plant!

5. :-( says:

Wish I would have read this before mine started dying

6. lizzy says:

thank you this has really helped! o.m.g. tttttttthhhhhhhaaaaaannnnnnkkkkkkssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Annette says:

Hi my daughter gave me a bamboo plant a year and a half ago it grew so big and beautiful now but recently their are some that are getting dark black brown bamboo I want to know if I take them out and add other or just leave them there or can I just take out them and leave a empty spot thank you.

8. Tamera says:

I received a bamboo plant from a student as a good-bye gift at the end of the year. It came with the pot wrapped in material with a bow, much like you see with potted plants. I noticed that some of the leaves have been turning yellow, and I know there have been a few times I forgot to water it. I thought if I removed the material, it might help the bottom portion of the plant to receive some indirect light from the window I have it sitting near. Much to my surprise, I noticed there were these bubble gel-like balls in the pot! However, there were no rocks. Should I purchase rocks to put on top of the balls? Is it okay to leave the material wrapped around the pot? Sorry…first time bamboo plant owner…:)

9. matt says:

My bamboo is very tall and weak . 10yrs old .does not get direct sunlight every growth ring is1.5inches apart . 14inches between leafs .

10. Ashley says:

My husband bought me a bamboo plant that came with little beads however the beads are almost gone and im not sure how to take care of the plant. I love it and makes the room peaceful so i dont want it to die. Please help.